Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Canada Chronicles--fish

JEnn and I live in daily terror these days in Canada, and I mean this particularly when speaking of our adopted fish. Mahi (whose name is Persian for "fish") is Sepideh's only child besides us and it has become very clear that Sepideh is quite attached to Mahi the fish. Our terror thus derives from this: Neither Jenn nor I have ever kept a goldfish alive for more than three days, and as Amin and Sepideh have gone off to Finland to visit their famly it hasbecome OUR duty to love and parent the mahi.

Which I am sorry but that is parenting is one ball of responsibility that I didn't expect to encounter on the summer mission to Canadia. But God asked us to be flexible so we have decided to take it on. Every day Jenn swishes out Mahi's water (I am too afraid to swish out Mahi's water because I was not trained like Jenn and furthermore I have heard that early childhood experiences often traumatize people, so I would rather not have to face God one day knowing I am responsible for the neurotic mess that my adopted fish was. I can't take it, yo.)

So anyway, every morning Jenn swishes out Mahi's water and gives her exactly five flakes of fish food. After she has done this she moves mahi's bowl back towards the open window (Goldfish, as it turns out, love sunlight. In that way, they are very much like Oregonians). My job every day is to put an ice cube into Mahi's bowl, which is about the most thrilling part of the day, and makes me about as happy as two veggie sandwiches all in a row. I am concerned that this will make me the good guy and Jenn the bad guy, and Mahi will grow up with one of those strange disorders and a hatred for people with short, brown hair. We keep her in our prayers. Poor, confused, manipulated goldfish.

Anyway, JEnn, Mahi, and I wish you good night, and a very happy tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I thank your dad for describing to me what a blog is and that you have one. I really enjoyed reading of all your tales and serious moments. I can understand your concerns regarding the survival of Mahi, but you may have another concern. Your ex-English teacher is reading your blog. A writing tune-up may be in order upon your return.

Enjoy your last few days in the foreign country. As always, you are in our prayers.

Ed and Marie Stites